The Road to Bottle Beach
|How to Get from Thong Nai Pan to Bottle Beach|
Haad Khuad, which means Bottle Beach in English, is the next beach north-west of Thong Nai Pan. The two are separated by mountainous head land. In years gone by the road access to Bottle Beach was very difficult to drive and the only way to get there was by longtail boat. For this reason Bottle Beach, one of the most beautiful on the island, has remained fairly undeveloped and laid back. Bottle Beach has plenty of day trippers but for the majority of the time it is fairly quiet. However, this is starting to change because the road access has improved. It is fairly easy get in there about 20 minutes by motorbike or car from Thong Nai Pan.
It is also possible to hike. If you do choose to hike between Thong Nai and Bottle Beach wear trainers or boots and take at least a litre of water as well as sunblock.
Refer to the pictures on the right in conjunction with the numbered points in the text.
1. The road between Thong Nai Pan Noi and Bottle is about 3 kilometers. The turning to Bottle Beach is on the main road on the left about 300 metres before the turning to Thong Nai Pan Noi. There is a big sign on the corner advertising 'Haad Khuad Resort’. This is a good land mark to make sure you get on the correct road.
2. After a small dip in the road just after the turning, the going is very easy along a fairly straight dirt track.
3. You need to take the turning off to the left about 500 metres along this track. The landmarks to look for are a sign for 'Bottle Beach Resort', a small black arrow on the corner to your left, and a big earthen ware jar on your right.
4. Just after the turning the road gets steeper, with ruts, sand and large stones making the way more difficult. Before you decide to turn back on your motorbike, bear in mind that this only goes on for about 200 metres. Once you are down the bottom of the section shown in the picture it’s easy from there on. If you’re driving a scooter remember to go no faster than about walking pace down this stretch, applying about 3 times more pressure on the back brake than the front brake. If you are hiking take it slowly.
5. The road levels out and you now follow a slightly sandy track through a coconut grove for about a 1.5km.
6. The road then meets a fork. It doesn't really matter which one you take unless you want to go to a specific resort. Take the left hand fork for Bottle Beach 2 and Haad Khuad Resort, and the right hand fork for Bottle Beach 1.
7. Either way you go, you come out at the back of the resorts. Park your bike in the designated 'Parking' areas and walk through between the buildings to get to the beach.
8. Bottle Beach has beautiful fine white sand and very clear water most of the year. It’s a good place to snorkel with lots of rocks, small fish and some corals a short way out in the bay. At the moment it never gets over crowded. Enjoy it while it lasts, as in a year or so there will be a concrete road connecting Bottle Beach with both Thong Nai Pan and Chaloklum as part of a project to create a ring road all the way around the island. For more information about Bottle Beach we recommend Bottle Beach Guide.
A good video of the road has been made. Click on ther top right picture to see the speeded up journey in its entirety. Please note the video starts in Bottle Beach and finishes when the jeep comes out at the Thong Nai Pan turning.